Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer solstice 夏至

June 21


Tokyu Hands advertising their rainy season selection

Today is officially summer solstice, or geshi. We're not doing anything special. It's the middle of rainy season, so sales of umbrellas, Crocs shoes, Wellies and raincoats are up! Biwa (loquat) are coming into season and my neighbours are curing their onions.
Neighbourhood onions hanging like laundry

Last year, Google had a groovy Takashi Murakami doodle for the solstice, but this year, nothing!



It's getting hotter and more humid every day. My main concerns now are keeping the clothing and bathroom free of mould, or "kabi". My MIL has about 6 drawers of kimono stored at our house, so I have to be vigilant! Actually, being stored in washi paper wrappings rather than plastic, seems to help keep them free of mould, but I'm stocking up on drying sachets and charcoal. Last year, I found her extensive collection of zori - the traditional shoes - had been damaged by damp.

Not my MIL, but I like this lady's summer kimono.
Kimono are stored flat, wrapped in paper. There's a handy window to show the colour and pattern.

Looking fashionable in the rain is a big deal here. "Hunter" wellington boots are very popular this year, as well as the brand's rubber ballet flats. Then, you need to co-ordinate your umbrella to your boots and outfit. Slip-on foam handles are also popular for umbrellas this year, both the make it easier to hold and distinguish yours from dozens of others. Hotels and big restaurants have lockable umbrella storage and most department stores have plastic sheaths for your wet umbrella at the entry. I love the day after a rainy day, when my neighbours hang their umbrellas on their garden trees to dry out, making "umbrella trees".

Co-ordinating your rain gear.


Katana umbrellas...may give you trouble at the airport

For compact samurai and ninja

You can send cards to friends in rainy season, or more usually, in high summer

This shop in Nezu with pots of hydrangeas makes me happy just to look at it!



July and August will bring all the festivals and fireworks. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment